Law of attraction:
What I want: Happy Cafe operator, who helps in managing employee expectations.
Situaion:
The cafeteria in Coke's manufacturing site started ops in Oct 2011. While the cafe operator doing a good job in managing it, they faced with several ops issues. Among the serious ones are 1. too small kitchen, causing challenges to respond during peak hours 2. the location near plantation area attracts flies 3. high turn over of staff due to distance. Nevetheless, they have been reasonably coping with the expectations.
However, HR kept receiving complains from employees on their services, price, quality of food etc. The cafeteria committee and HR has been conveying these expectations, feedback to the operator on periodical basis. Its frustrating and unappreciative situaion for the operator, who is facing some real issues beyond his control. Recently, the operator - who got frustrated - responding with reuqest of additional subsidy or payment from company for some of these demands of employees.
note:
From my 20 year experience, I have never seen a cafeteria where ALL employees are happy about cafeteria..!!
Action:
I have asked my ER Manager to do a night audit on cafeteria performance. During a con-call he shared his feedback, which is usually not very positive. I focused his attention to what went well during the audit. Requested him to write a note to the Cafe operator (to the owner, cc to ops manager) with 4-5 good observations, with 1-2 areas we needed help. Can you guess the response from Cafe operator?
Result:
The cafe owner, who was positively surprised with the feedback, thanked my ER Manager, pledged to do more to ensure the employees are happy. He also offered to meet to enhance the current operation efficiencies. The ops manager, wrote another email, thanked the management for the support and greatly appreciate the feedback. He committed to do even better. (note that nowhere both the owner or the manager mentioned about extra money).
Since the above incident, the routine meetings with cafe operator has been pleasant, engaging. I have not heard any significant complain from employees. Whenever I visit cafe, the operator and team is happy serving employees. Not sure how long this will last. I know that if I am conscious about 'what I want', and take responsible action, I will always get it. (END)
No comments:
Post a Comment